Thursday, January 31, 2013

Crossfit 90 Day Challenge ~ Day 3

First of all, some of y'all know that I was injured in the Corps.  I was told I'd never run again so just give it up after 3 years of physical therapy netted no improvement - 5% usage of the two muscles that were ripped from my hip without surgery.  I was told I would be in pain every day, not be able to walk for any type of distance without excruciating pain (just a regular trip to the grocery store had me crying by checkout), and that I would *never* run again - so just get used to it and learn a new way of life.
I tried for about 4 months before I couldn't take a sedintary lifestyle any longer.  So I started researching exercises to do without "walking or running" or lots of leg movements.  I settled on bellydancing which I had done while pregnant especially since it was supposed to be good for the hips and I knew it worked up a sweat which is what I really needed.  Long story short - within a few months I was walking around the grocery store with much less pain and not crying at checkout!  Big win right there alone.  Next I was walking quite a distance with little discomfort.  Next I was doing the slowest jog you've ever seen - 2 miles in an hour ... I never said I was fast, just that I was doing it!!  I felt pretty good when I got to running a mile in 20 minutes.  Not anywhere close to my Marine Corps standards but by golly I was doing what they said I would never do again!!  So imagine my excitment when I finally looked at my time below ....

The Challenge Day 3:
Run 800 meters
50 Squats
Run 800 meters
50 Crossfit sit-ups
Run 800 meters

What I accomplished: 25:26!!
Run 800 meters (this is a half mile (0.497) - I walked less than 30 yards when I started wheezing)
50 Squats
Run 800 meters (I jogged the ENTIRE way - going slightly slower netted no wheezing!)
50 Crossfit sit-ups
Run 800 meters (I walked less than 20 yards when I started wheezing again)

I would run my half mile, walk up my driveway, do the exercises inside the garage (which I don't do fast yet for I want to stay in good form), then walk back down my driveway before resuming my next half mile.  So by golly this means I was doing less-than-15 minute miles!!!  I checked the time only once and that was after I finished the squats and was walking back down my driveway - 7:56!!  So yeah, I'm happy ... and to think our oldest says I can't do this - does he not know I'm a Marine!?? ;-)

So I thought I'd also post my after workout shake I make.  I make "protein" shakes but I do not use protein powder at all - blech! :-x  Today's isn't as good because I completely forgot the spinach :-/ but you know what, I'll be just fine!~

1 banana
1/2 cup unsweetened, unflavored almond milk
1/2 cup filtered water
1 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 Tbsp organic peanut butter
2 Tbsp rolled oats
1+ tsp cinnamon

typically I would have had 1 tsp flaxseed meal and 2 cups spinach .... my morning was on a rush so I think I just forgot half my shake!

No comments:

Post a Comment