Friday, December 28, 2012

Shampoo and Conditioner Alternatives

I have decided to go back to using baking soda and apple cider vinegar for shampoo and conditioner.  I used to use it all the time and my hair was so healthy and clean.  I honestly loved it.  I'm pretty sure I stopped using it only because I wanted to use a coconut smelling shampoo I used to love one summer some years back.  I just sort of got out of the habit.  I've thought about doing this again several times over the past several years but I never do ---- several reasons why not 1) too lazy to go get the stuff to put in the shower (now that's sad) 2) I really didn't want to listen to MrBeans complain and alternately make fun of me for this - nevermind that I had been doing it long before I ever met him and he liked my hair just fine, thankyouverymuch! 3) I didn't want to hear my teen and grown children turn up their noses and consequently make fun of me as well.  They would all pretend to smell the vinegar in my hair - nevermind that you can't smell it after your hair is dry :-/ and nevermind that my husband never smelled it while we were dating.

So yeah, it really came down to what other people thought and, how they'd be watching and if everything isn't perfect, how much I'd be criticized.  I finally say - forget them!  I haven't much cared what anyone thought of me to begin with so why am I worrying now?!  So I found a bottle specifically to keep my baking soda in the shower - I'm in the process of getting the lable off of the bottle now so it doesn't attract attention ('cause you know that snoopy husband of mine will just have to take a peak ;-) ).  Now I'm working on a squirt bottle for the ACV.  But I had to get lunch and start blogging again....

So anyway, the basic instructions are .....

1) Wet hair normally
2) Either mix approx 1 Tbsp of baking soda with a cup of water and gently pour all over head, or simply start daubing 1 Tbsp on scalp without mixing in water
3) Either one you use in #2 - massage into scalp and let sit for a few minutes
4) Mix 1 Tbsp of ACV in a cup of water and add just a little to hair ... yes, there might be a little fizz action ;-)
5) Thoroughly rinse hair.
6) Slowly rinse ends and middle of hair with the rest of the ACV mixture, allow to sit for a little bit.
7) Thoroughly rinse hair - yes, you will probably smell the ACV
8) Towel dry or hair dry hair as normal - the smell will be completely gone by the time the hair is completely dry

Now, when first starting out, you will probably need to "wash" every day.  This is due to the hair being used to being stripped of the vital oils when we use "normal" shampoos.  Somewhere down the line, you can stretch it a little bit and try for every other day or maybe skip one day, wash two/three/four days, skip one day, etc, until you are stretching it out to what fits you best!  Everyone's head of hair is different - therefore, everyone's time frame will be different.  I have confidence you'll figure it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment