Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Breakfast Biscuits

So last night I had a little baking foray.  We're pretty tight on money with all the new taxes and medical insurance being taken out.  So instead of running off to the store to make sure I had breakfast foods for the children in the morning, I decided to make some more breakfast biscuits they have been loving on.  I have made some changes from the first time I made them...

One: Instead of using ground sausage (for which we have a ton in the freezer), I used bacon by request.... but sorry kiddos, the rest will be with sausage until we've made a heavy dent in our supply or come across a huge sale on bacon or someone doesn't pick up their bacon at the processor's - yeah, right.

Two: I used a pancake batter rather than biscuit batter. It was something the kids hinted at some time back that I thought I'd do differently this time around.  My Honey informed me he likes the biscuits so please make him some of those next time instead.

I have to deal with food allergies so for this I had to have a tin dedicated to Gluten-free biscuits and one dedicated to Dairy-free biscuits.  Here was my assembly set-up ... I seriously need more muffin pans!

To the Left is a big bowl of glutenfied batter and a small bowl of gluten-free pancake batter!  To the Right is a bag of dairy-free veggie shreds and a bag of reg cheddar shreds.  On the stove is a plate of bacon and a pan of eggs along with my tea pot and my muffin tins :-)

In assembling I do it slightly different than the blog post I referred to does it.  She uses canned biscuits.  If I get them on sale for 50 cents or less then I might get them as well - but I like making my own batters. 
So I put a Tablespoon or so (a dallop sounds more appropriate here ;-) ) on the bottom of each muffin tin.
I add in the fillings: break up the bacon in pieces, a scoop of eggs, a Tablespoon of shredded cheese .... anything else you want in here??  Caramelized onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, hashbrowns.... the possibilities are abounding.
Then dallop a bit more batter on top, sort of spreading it a little bit if needed.
Pop in the oven (same temp and time as regular biscuits).
Pull out of oven and let cool.
Pop out of muffin tins on to a cooling rack and start the next batch.
Repeat until out of ingredients :-)


Here they are: 33 regular biscuits; 8 dairy-free biscuits, and 7 gluten-free biscuits ... I ran out of gf mix so I made the regular mix stretch a bit to fill up the tins.
Once they've cooled completely, flash freeze them, and then put in LABELED freezer bags.

To flash freeze, place muffins on a cookie sheet that will fit on a shelf in the freezer, put in freezer and keep there until hard to the touch (not all that long).  Then immediately pop them into the freezer bags and back into the freezer.

We definitely have to label our baggies of muffins due to food allergies, but most people will need to label anyway with at minimum a date ... and if you make different varieties, then which varieties.  Some like to put heating instructions on the baggies as well.

Speaking of heating....
To reheat, just pop into the microwave and heat on high for 30 seconds at a time.  OR thaw a bit and pop into warmed oven for a few minutes (they could brown a bit more so you might not want to bake completely thoroughly if you are going to be warming in the oven).


The good news is, these little buggers are quite versitile!  I have a few more variations I'll be using of this recipe ... one is even like a mini-pot pie - yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment